I am sharing these photos to demonstrate the inadequacy of the designs we have to suffer in Anchorage. The photos are of a tunnel underneath Boniface Parkway in Anchorage, Alaska. The tunnel is part of a required route for students to walk to attend the local Elementary School that sits a few hundred feet from the East side of the tunnel.
What are the issues we see in these photos?
- The tunnel is not sealed from above, so water seeps into the tunnel from the road bed.
- The tunnel is not shielded from ice and debris plowed off the road above
- The ice and debris plowed of the road above piles up at the entrances to the tunnel (not shown here is a photo from some years ago where the snow wall created by the plowing covered half the height of the tunnel).
- The tunnel is at the lowest point of the trail on the West end, meaning that it serves as the sump for all water.
- There is a drain to the storm sewer a few feet to the East of the tunnel entrance on the East side, but that is frozen over half the year.
- As you can see, melt from outside the tunnel solely covers the entire tunnel eventually rendering the entire surface glassy.
- And, not seen in this photo, the lack of any trail lighting on the West side though this has been in the Master Plan for this area for DECADES.
Are there any reasons that these issues could not have been avoided? Two: a) failure to produce an adequate design, and/or b) refusal to fund an adequate design.
This is simply a quick post to demonstrate the use of the Zotpress Plugin by Katie Seaborn (https://wordpress.org/plugins/zotpress/). To date, I have mostly used the Easy Footnote Plugin by Jason Yingling as it is one of the first (there are quite a few available now as you can see here: https://wordpress.org/plugins/search/Easy+Footnote/), and still works very admirably and is really very Easy…
Here we have simply an arbitrary cite from my Zotero Library. And here is another. . The bibliography feature is used to provide the footnotes below.
There are some issues to be noted in that footnotes are clearly NOT the same as a bibliography, and when I first started trying to use the Zotpress Plugin a year ago this presented some problems. Katie has made some recent additions that allow one to manage both, but I can’t confirm that I have worked through all the issues. Feel free to comment if you have any experience in this respect.
Knapp, Gunnar, Matthew Berman, and Mouhcine Guettabi. Shortrun Economic Impacts Of Alaska Fiscal Options
. Anchorage, AK: Institute of Social and Economic Research, University of Alaska Anchorage, March 30, 2016. Https://iseralaska.org/publication/?id=1603. https://iseralaska.org/publications/. Accessed February 17, 2019. https://pubs.iseralaska.org/media/aabf43aa-c8f8-4cea-b529-f5d9a3518928/2016_03_30-ShortrunEconomicImpactsOfAlaskaFiscalOptions.pdf
Cornell, Saul, and Nathan DeDino. “Well Regulated Right: The Early American Origins of Gun Control, A.” Fordham Law Review
73 (2005 2004): 487. http://heinonline.org/HOL/Page?handle=hein.journals/flr73&id=503&div=&collection=